Sunday, February 15, 2009

This beer is Stout-errific!

To continue on my path of doing a different beer style for every write-up, I chose New Glarus' Coffee Stout, from the great state of Wisconsin (Go Packers!). Stouts are usually perceived as being heavy, filling beers that shouldn't be drank when it's hot out. According to my thermometer, it's a cool 24 degrees outside, so this is definitely the perfect time for a good ol' stout.


Appearance - Pours an opaque, dark brown with a very thick, tan 3-finger head which is slow to dissipate.

Aroma - Smells of coffee, malt and a hint chocolate, with a big roasted backbone.

Mouthfeel - Not as thick as I was expecting... drinks more like a porter than a stout. Quite a bit of carbonation that really hits the tongue when it's first sipped. The aftertaste is there, but is pretty weak.

Taste - A nice, roasted malt flavor with chocolate undertones that finishes with a heavy coffee taste. Everything is balanced out very, very well. A slight hint of bitterness from the hops lingers after the first sip is swallowed.

Overall - New Glarus has really impressed me here, brewing a great stout and the best coffee beer I've had. This isn't as thick as a typical stout, and there's a bit more carbonation than usual, but that doesn't deter from the beer itself. I found this one much too drinkable, although that's not exactly a bad thing!

Grade: A-

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's CRJC! Just wanted to say keep it going cuz I'm reading and enjoying these very much :)

    ReplyDelete