Monday, February 23, 2009

I apologize for the sticker, but I'm sure you'll get the picture



Stone Brewery: Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.


Appearance - A true stout. It is as dark as night and pours like motor oil. I must admit, I was a bit intimidated by this beer; I was intimidated by its character and the possibility that I'd never find a better chocolate stout. The head can be slightly rocky if you move from the 45 to the 90 at half-glass. I think it was just as tasty without the rockiness.

Aroma - As expected from its relatively high ABV., it has a quite pungent odor. It smells much like a mixture of soy-sauce a la coffee, and a dash of confectionery chocolate. You know you've got a solid product awaiting.

Mouthfeel - Very thick, but smooth and silky like an oatmeal stout should be - and damn good. This stout is creamy like a milkshake when it comes to body and has a "swish-able" quality that follow suit. I've had it both at 55 degrees and at around 30, and I'd recommend a happy median. While you do get the wonderful flavors at 55, the alcohol can be biting at times, insofar as stouts can bite.

Taste - Heavy chocolate taste. Bitter just as labeled with notes of coffee, though I'd select chocolate as the main squeeze. Semi-sweet on the palate with a dry finish. Wonderful with the wings I had.

Overall - Aside from having the longest name possible, this is one of my more favored stouts, a legend among Chocolates. Stone did it right to celebrate its 12th Anniversary, and I am thankful for being a part of its tradition of master brewing. Beyond the intricately painted designs on the front and thoughtful storytelling on the back, this stout was as complex as any of them and left me drooling for more (and cleanly buzzed). For anyone wishing to experience the diversity that Chocolate stouts can bring, you won't want to miss this wonderful beer.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment